Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Elves, Bells, and Reindeer's

Gerda and the Reindeer
by
Edmund Dulac, 1911
Last year I offered a holiday lapsit program for toddlers. The client preferred to keep away from all things Santa and so I designed an Elves, Bells and Reindeers time for the children. I added a special touch by purchasing some small bells and red ribbon from the Michael’s craft store and making personal bell necklaces for all of the children. It was a huge hit!

Below are the fingerplays, songs and story stretchers I shared. They are found all over the web with no attribution; feel free to use them in your programs. I hope they will add some fun to your holiday programs!

FINGERPLAYS

Five Little Bells

Five little bells hanging in a row. (Hold up five fingers)
The first one said, "Ring me slow." (Move thumb slowly)
The second one said, "Ring me fast." (Wiggle index finger)
The third one said, "Ring me last." (Move middle finger)
The fourth one said, "I'm like a chime." (Move ring finger)
The fifth one said, "Ring us all. It's holiday time!" (Wiggle all five fingers)
     

Five Little Reindeer
I used a flannel board and felt reindeer to do the counting rhymes with the children.

Five little reindeer playing in the snow.
The first one said, "Let’s go and go and go!"
The second one said, "I see snowflakes in the air."
The third one said, "The elves won’t care.
The fourth one said, "Aren’t holiday’s fun!"
The fifth one said, "Let’s run and run and run!"

Five Little Elves

Five little elves jumping on the sleigh, (move hand up and down)
One jumped off and ran away. (move hand over)
Mama called Frosty and Frosty said (hand to ear)
"No more elves jumping on the sleigh." (shake finger)

Continue song with four, three, two and one elf.
No more elves jumping on the sleigh,
They all jumped off and ran away.

STORY STRETCH

Reindeer Pokey (Sung to: "The Hokey Pokey")

You put your antlers in. You put your antlers out.
You put your antlers in, and you shake them all about.
You do the Reindeer Pokey, and you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your hooves in....
You put your red nose in....
You put your fluffy tail in...
You put your reindeer body in...

SONGS

There's A Little Elf (Sung to: "If You're Happy & You Know It")

There's a little elf sitting on my nose,
There's a little elf sitting on my nose.
He is sitting on my nose,
Then off away he goes.
Now there's no little elf on my nose.

There's a little elf sitting on my knee,
There's a little elf sitting on my knee.
He is sitting on my knee,
Just watch and he will flee.
Now there's no little elf on my knee.

There's a little elf sitting on my head,
There's a little elf  sitting on my head.
He is sitting on my head,
Then away he goes to bed.
Now there's no little elf on my head.


Jingle Bells

We marched around while singing this song and jingling our new bell necklaces.

Dashing through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go, laughing all the way
Bells on bobtail ring, making spirits bright
What fun it is to ride and sing a sleighing song tonight!

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.
Oh! what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way;
Oh! what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh.



Karen Chace 2013 ©

Please note, websites change at a rapid pace and weblinks may change or break without notice. I cannot be responsible for redirected or broken links. At the time of this posting all links were in working order. Thank you for understanding.

 

This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission, please contact me at storybug@aol.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I appreciate your support and personal integrity.

No comments: