Sunday, January 5, 2014

Valentine's Day Fun for the Children in Your Life

Vintage Post Card for Valentine's Day
Last year I offered a lapsit program to celebrate the Valentine’s Day. Listed below are the fingerplays, songs and story stretchers I used in the program. They are found throughout the internet without attribution so they are free for you to use as well.  

I also used a flannel board with heart shapes for the counting rhymes. 
I hope you will find something fun to use with your little ones. 

COUNTING AND FINGERPLAYS


Five Pretty Valentines

Five pretty valentines waiting at the store.
(Insert child's name) bought one and then there were four.
Four pretty valentines shaped like a "V"
(Insert child's name) bought one and then there were three.
Three pretty valentines said "I love you"
(Insert child's name) bought one and then there were two.
Two pretty valentines, this was so much fun.
(Insert child's name) bought one and then there was one.
One pretty valentine sitting on the shelf.
I felt sorry for it, so I bought it for myself!

Making a Heart

"I part my hands together, this is how I start; (heels of hands together)
I curve my fingers right around and I can make a Heart!

Valentine Poem

Five little valentines just for you
The first one says, "My love is true."
The second one says, "You have my heart."
The third one says, "Let us never part."
The fourth one says, "Won't you please be mine?"
The fifth one says, "'Till the end of time."

My Valentine Heart

When I say I love you (Point to lips)
It comes from my heart (Hand on heart)
You hear it in your ear (Point to ear)
And it sounds very smart (Point to head)
I love it when you're proud of me (Stand very tall)
You say it all day long (Stretch arms wide)
And when I hear you say it (Point to ear)
My heart sings a merry song (Hand on heart)

SONGS

Skinnamarinky

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!

I love you in the morning,
And in the afternoon
I love you in the evening,
Underneath the moon…

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!

H-E-A-R-T
 
(To the tune of  Bingo)

There is a shape and it means love
And heart is it's nameo.
H-E-A-R-T, H-E-A-R-T, H-E-A-R-T, (spell the word out)
And Heart is it's nameo!
Continue leaving out a letter on each repeat and use a clap in place of the missing letter.

STORY STRETCH

Tony Chestnut
Tony Chestnut knows I love you,
Tony knows, Tony knows,
Tony Chestnut
Knows I love you,
That's what Tony knows.

While singing, point to
different parts of your body, like this:

Toe knee chest nut (head)
Nose eye
Love (heart)
You (point to others)
Toe knee nose
Toe knee nose
Toe knee chest nut (head)
Nose eye
Love (heart)
You (point to others)
That's what toe knee nose.

Songs for Teaching: Another version of Tony Chestnut: http://www.songsforteaching.com/folk/tonychestnut.php

This is an adorable video of children doing  the longer version of Tony Chestnut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPwGZN4Kbc

Another Tony Chestnut video using a different technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLLMm8fbhqk
Crafty Morning - Heart shaped animal masks.

DLTK-Holidays.com - Adorable elephant valentine for animal lovers. Too cute!


CURRICULUM

Education World
– Have a Heart: Valentine’s Day Across the Curriculum. Lessons plans and activities for K-12.

RECIPES

40+ Cutest Valentine’s Day Recipes for Kids

https://www.inthekidskitchen.com/valentines-day-treats-kids/

 

Crafty Morning Heart shaped cinnamon rolls
https://www.craftymorning.com/heart-shaped-cinnamon-rolls/


Please note, websites change at a rapid pace and weblinks may change or break without notice. I cannot be responsible for redirected or broken links.  At the time of this posting all links were in working order. Thank you for understanding.
 
Karen Chace 2014 ©
This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission please contact me at storybug@aol.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I greatly appreciate your support and personal integrity.

2 comments:

noa Baum said...

always wonderful thank you!

Karen Chace said...

Thank you for your kind words Noa. I know how busy you are so I greatly appreciate the time you took to comment.

Happy New Year!
Karen