Friday, March 14, 2014

Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with the Wee Ones: Songs, Rhymes & Fingerplays


Antique Postcard, 1910
Saint Patrick’s Day is right around the corner and the children will be looking here, there, and everywhere for Leprechauns. Why not have some fun while you wait for them to appear?

These finger plays, songs and story stretches are found all around the web with no attribution. I put this list together for a lapsit program last year and thought I would share them with you.  I hope you find something fun to use in your classroom, library or storytelling program.

COUNTING AND FINGERPLAYS

Five Little Shamrocks
One green shamrock, in the morning dew,
Another one sprouted, and then there were two.
Two green shamrocks, growing beneath a tree;
Another one sprouted and then there were three.
Three green shamrocks, by the cottage door;
Another one sprouted, and then there were four.
Four green shamrocks, near a beehive
Another one sprouted, and then there were five.
Five little shamrocks, bright and emerald green,
Think of all the luck these shamrocks will bring.

Five Little Leprechauns

Five little leprechauns were dancing on the shore.
The king waved a magic wand, and then there were four.
Four little leprechauns were dancing merrily.
The king waved a magic wand, and then there were three.
Three little leprechauns danced a jig as they can do.
The king waved a magic wand, and then there were two.
Two little leprechauns were dancing on the run.
The king waved a magic wand, and then there were one.
One little leprechaun was lonely as could be.
The king called the leprechauns and gave them cakes and tea.

The Leprechaun

A leprechaun is small and green, (Use hand to indicate a small person.)
He hides where he cannot be seen. (Cover eyes with hands.)
But if you catch one on this day, (Shake finger.)
He must give his gold away. (Pretend to put gold in pocket.)

SONGS

I’m a Little Leprechaun (Tune: I'm a Little Teapot)

I'm a little leprechaun short and stout.
Look at my top hat and hear me shout.
when I get all excited, listen to me dear.
St. Patrick's Day is now right here.

Leprechaun Where Are You? (Tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)

Leprechaun, Leprechaun,
where are you?
I tried to catch you,
but away you flew.
I'm going to get you just wait and see!
Then all your gold will belong to me!
Leprechaun, Leprechaun,
where are you?


STORY STRETCH

Do your Ears Point Up?

Do your ears point up? (Pull on tops of ears.)
Do you have a lot of luck? (Cross fingers.)
For gold do you dig? (Pretend to dig.)
Can you dance an Irish jig? (Dance a jig.)
If you answered, "Yes," (Nod head.)
You're a leprechaun, I'd guess! (Wink eye.)

We’re Going On A Leprechaun Hunt

We’re going on a leprechaun hunt. We’re not afraid.
Oh. look! I see a grassy field.
Can't go around it. Can't go under it. Can't go over it. Got to go through it.
Swish, swish, swish, swish.
Oh, look! I see a giant tree.
Can't go over it. Can't go under it. Can't go through it. Got to go up it.
Climb, climb, climb.
Oh, look! I see a river.
Can't go over it. Can't go around it. Can't go under it. Got to swim through it.
Let's go. Swim, swim, swim.
Oh, look! I see a dark cave.
Can't go around it. Can't go under it. Can't go over it. Got to go in it.
Tip toe, tip toe, tip toe toe.
It's really dark in here. Better turn on my flashlight.
Oh, no. I see something!
It's mean! It's green! It's a leprechaun! Let's go!
Run! Run! Swim! Swim! Climb! Climb! Swish! Swish!


Two previous posts for St. Patrick's Day, with stories, songs, crafts and more  can be found at these links:


Sláinte mhaith! (Good health)
http://karenchace.blogspot.com/2010/02/slainte-mhaith-good-health.html



Karen Chace 2014 ©
This blog post was researched and compiled by Karen Chace. Permission for private use is granted. Distribution, either electronically or on paper is prohibited without my expressed written permission. For permission please contact me at storybug@aol.com. Of course, if you wish to link to my blog via your website, blog, newsletter, Facebook page or Twitter please feel free to do so; I greatly appreciate your support and personal integrity.


No comments: